Volunteer Spotlight: Tiffany Monroe
The Special Olympics Oregon Board is excited to welcome Tiffany Monroe, a Management Analyst for the Springfield Police Department and the new Chair for the Law Enforcement Torch Run (LETR) Executive Council, as a new Director. Tiffany replaces Captain Joel Goodwin with the Corvallis Police Department after his term ended. Board and staff would like to thank Joel for his tremendous service and dedication and are thrilled he will continue to serve on the Executive Council and be an active leader for Special Olympics Oregon LETR.
When Tiffany was first approached in 2011 to participate in and recruit runners from Springfield Police Department for the annual Torch Run, she was hooked! She quickly began to look for ways to get more involved with Special Olympics Oregon – a sampling of Tiffany’s activities include:
- Being a staple in coordinating the Springfield leg of the Torch Run
- participating on the Eugene Polar Plunge planning committee (started in 2015)
- joined the Oregon LETR Executive Council (2015)
- recruited Springfield Officers to serve as Power Lifting coaches for the Eugene/Springfield local program
- Coordinated 2 annual Tip-A-Cop events in Eugene
- served on the Logistics team for USA Final Leg in Washington (2018)
- launched a Run With the Cops fundraiser (2019)
Tiffany was honored by her peers with LETR Oregon’s most prestigious award in 2018 — the Ken Davis Unsung Hero Award.
When asked what her favorite LETR memory is Tiffany recalls recruiting Officers to coach Power Lifting: “Getting to see our officers and athletes working together every week has been my favorite LETR moment. This experience has brought so much joy to both the athletes and the officers and I couldn’t be more pleased!” Special Olympics Oregon benefits so greatly from volunteers who love being engaged with the athletes and are also willing to put time into fundraising so that we can continue to create meaningful programming.
Captain Goodwin – we can’t wait to see how you and your family participate in the 2021 Virtual Plunge – your costumes are always among the best. Thank you for your continued service. And Tiffany, we are thrilled to begin our journey with you as the leader of Oregon’s LETR and a new member of SOOR’s Board of Directors.