Regional Basketball Tournament in Medford
The 2023 Special Olympics Oregon Winter Regional Games Basketball tournament in Medford on Saturday, March 18, 2023, is now less than a week away. It has been 3+ years since we were able to host basketball tournaments in person around the state. We are so excited to be see your teams compete.
There was a typo on the day of the week listed at the top of the original version of the Divisions and Game Schedule. This has been corrected to SATURDAY in the UPDATED version attached. Sorry for any confusion. No changes were made to any of the divisions, game assignments, or times in this updated version. Please also note the update below regarding location for souvenir sales.
Please review the information below and attached and share with your athletes, coaches, families, and supporters. If you have any questions, please send an email immediately to firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text Mark Hanken at 971.404.1322.
Participating Local Programs: Cottage Grove, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine, Klamath, South Coast
- Divisions and Game Schedule – UPDATED as of 13mar2023 (Excel version)
- Divisions and Game Schedule – UPDATED as of 13mar2023 (PDF version)
- Medford – Venues Map
- Results by bracket
- Results – Individual Skills
Individual Skills Competition OFFICIAL RESULTS:
- In some divisions, the final scores used to present awards on site were calculated incorrectly due to errors made with the scoring conversion for the 10mDribble Event.
- The attached Individual Skills Competition OFFICIAL RESULTS reflect the corrected scores and placements for each division.
- NOTE: Any athletes with a placement indicated in RED on the OFFICIAL RESULTS will receive a new higher placing medal or ribbon.
- Any athletes whose OFFICIAL SCORE resulted in a lower placement than what was received on day of competition will not be impacted with a change in medal or ribbon received. However, the OFFICIAL RESULTS will reflect the updated placement.
2023 Special Olympics Oregon Winter Regional Games Basketball in Medford
Competition Date: Saturday, March 18, 2023
McLoughlin Middle School (5v5 Division A + ALL 3v3 Divisions + Individual Skills)
320 W 2nd Street
Medford, OR 97501
Santo Community Center (5v5 Divisions B, C)
701 N. Columbus Ave
Medford, OR 97501
3/18/2023 – General Schedule of Events (subject to change):
- From 8:30am to 9:15am – Coach check-in at each assigned venue
- 9:20am – Basketball Head Coaches’ Meeting at each assigned venue
- 9:35am – Opening Ceremonies at each assigned venue
- 10:00am – 5:00pm – Competition & Awards at each assigned venue
- 10:00am – 12:00noon – Individual Skills Competition & Awards at McLoughlin MS
- 11:30pm – 5:00pm – 3on3 Competition & Awards at McLoughlin MS
- 11:00am – 2:00pm LUNCH DISTRIBUTION at each venue
- Divisions A, C, TA, TC, TD are three-team divisions. Teams will first compete in a round robin format. Results from round robin play will determine seeding for the gold medal game based on the hierarchy listed below. The third seed will not compete in a playoff and will be awarded the bronze medal based on round-robin results.
- Divisions B, TB are four-team divisions. Teams will play in a round robin format. Results from round robin play will determine placement based on the hierarchy listed below.
- Results/Seeding Hierarchy:
- Points against
- Points for
- Award the same (B, TB) / Flip coin for playoff seeding (A, C, TA, TC, TD)
TOURNAMENT NOTES, REMINDERS, POINTS OF EMPHASIS:
- Travel Issues – Scratches/Delays – If weather creates delays or team cancelations due to unsafe driving conditions or other issue, please let Mark Hanken know immediately by texting 971.404.1322 (mobile).
- Coaches Meeting – The head coaches meeting will take place at 9:20am at each venue. Each team is required to have a representative at this meeting. First games will begin at 10:00am after the opening welcome.
- Lunches – We will provide lunches to all registered players and coaches. These will be boxed lunches from Jersey Mike’s featuring sandwiches – ham, turkey or vegetarian (limited number). There will be a limited number of vegan and gluten free options for this event. If you have delegates with stricter dietary restrictions, please plan accordingly.
- Concessions – Concessions will not be available. Teams are encouraged to bring extra snacks and refillable water bottles.
- Souvenirs – Events by Idea will be at the event selling custom screened SOOR t-shirts, sweatshirts, beanies, and other gear at the McLoughlin MS venue.
- Gym Rules – No food/drink or outside chairs allowed on gym floors – Only water is allowed in the gyms.
- Spectator Seating – No outside camp chairs permitted. Some courts will have bleacher seating while others will have chairs.
- Service animals – Only service animals (that are identified) are allowed to be in buildings. Please do not bring pets to this event.
- Family/Spectator parking – Please respect all parking signs posted in lots and streets.
- Event Medical- In event of emergency, 911 will be contacted. For non-emergencies, a first-aid medical team will be on site. They will assess any injuries and be in touch with coach/family members should transit to local hospital is necessary. They will also have ice and other first aid supplies should team members need them.
- Divisions were created based on past history, coach/local program feedback and Team Evaluation Questionnaires with the intent to have fair and quality match ups. This is a smaller tournament than years past as Eugene/Springfield has moved to a different regional. Therefore, your team may be placed in a different letter division than years past. Reminder – each division is based on ability level of teams within this tournament.
- Mark Hanken, Lead Staff (will be at Santo Community Center) – 971.404.1322 (mobile)
- LouAnne Tabada, will be at McLoughlin MS – 503.319.1182 (mobile)
THANK YOU for your hard work this season. Best of luck to all with your final training and safe travels!