Regional Basketball Tournament in Turner – March 18
The 2023 Special Olympics Oregon Winter Regional Games Basketball tournament in Turner at Cascade HS & JHS on Saturday, March 18, 2023, just a little more than a week away. After a long hiatus due to COVID-19, we are excited to be back hosting basketball competitions in person. We can’t wait to see you there!
Changes were made to Divisions TB and TC in the 3v3 Half Court competition. Please review the UPDATED information below and attached and share with your athletes, unified partners, assistant coaches, and supporters. If you have any questions, please send an email immediately to email@example.com or call/text Mark Hanken at 971.404.1322.
Participating Local Programs: Benton, Eugene/Springfield, High Desert, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Polk
2023 Special Olympics Oregon Winter Regional Games Basketball – Turner
Competition Date: Saturday, March 18, 2023
Cascade High School (CHS) & Cascade Jr. High School (CJHS) – Schools share one large campus – see venue layout map
10226 Marion Rd. SE
Turner, OR 97392
3/18/2023 – Schedule of Events (subject to change):
- 8:30am – 9:15am – Coach check-in at CHS New Gym
- 9:20am – Basketball Coaches’ Meeting at CHS Cafeteria
- 9:35am – Opening Ceremonies in CHS Old Gym
- 10:00am – 5:00pm – Competition at assigned venue (ALL AWARDS will then be in CHS Old Gym)
- 10:00am – 12:00pm – Individual skills competition & awards at CHS Old Gym
- 12:15pm – 3v3 Competition begins at CHS Old Gym
- 11:00am – 2:00pm – LUNCH DISTRIBUTION – CHS Cafeteria
- Division D is a two-team division. Teams will play a best of 3 series.
- Divisions B, TA, TC are three-team divisions. Teams will first compete in a round-robin format. Results from round robin play will determine seeding for the gold medal game based on the hierarchy listed below. The third seed will be awarded the bronze medal.
- Divisions A, C, TB are four-team divisions. Teams will play in a round-robin format. Results from round robin play will determine placement based on the hierarchy listed below.
- Results/Seeding Hierarchy:
- Points against
- Points for
- Award the same / Flip coin for seeding
TOURNAMENT NOTES, REMINDERS, POINTS OF EMPHASIS:
- Travel Issues – Scratches/Delays – If weather creates delays or team cancelations due to unsafe driving conditions or other issue, please let Curtis Everetts, or Joe Harvey, know immediately by texting
- Coaches Meeting – The coaches meeting will take place at 9:20am. Each team is required to have a representative at this meeting. First games will begin at 10:00am after the opening welcome.
- Lunches – We will provide lunches to all registered players and coaches. These will be boxed lunches from Jersey Mike’s featuring sandwiches – ham, turkey or vegetarian (limited number). There are will be limited vegan and gluten free options for this event. If you have delegates with stricter dietary restrictions, please plan accordingly.
- Concessions – Still TBD if concessions will be available on site. Please pack extra snacks in case.
- Souvenirs – Events by Idea will be on-site selling custom screened SOOR t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, and other gear at Cascade HS.
- Gym Rules – No food/drink or outside chairs allowed on gym floors. Only water is allowed in the gym.
- Spectator Seating – Some gyms will have bleachers and others will have chairs. No outside chairs are allowed.
- Service animals – Only service animals (that are identified) are allowed to be in buildings. Please do not bring pets to this event.
- Family/Spectator parking – Autos can park in main lots. Please respect all posted signage.
- Event Medical- In event of emergency, 911 will be contacted. For non-emergencies, a first-aid medical team will be on site. They will assess any injuries and be in touch with coach/family members should transit to local hospital is necessary. They will also have ice and other first aid supplies should team members need them.
- Divisions were created based on past history, coach/local program feedback and Team Evaluation Questionnaires with the intent to have fair and quality match ups.
SOOR Staff On-Site
- Curtis Everetts, 503.931.0953 (mobile)
- Joe Harvey, 503.998.5601 (mobile)
- Taylor Strain, 937.417.4455 (mobile)
- Caitlin Buyserie, 503.998.5601 (mobile)
Thank you for your hard work this season. Best of luck to all with your final training and safe travels!