Regional Basketball in Medford
The 2024 Special Olympics Oregon Winter Regional Games Basketball tournament in Medford on Saturday, March 9th is now just a little over a week away! We are excited to be working with the City of Medford Parks, Recreation & Facilities to host our competition at the new, state of the art Rogue Credit Union Community Complex – also known as Rogue X.
Please review the information below and attached and share with your athletes, coaches, families, and supporters. If you have any questions, please send an email immediately to firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text Mark Hanken at 971.404.1322.
Participating Local Programs: Cottage Grove, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine, Klamath, South Coast
- Divisions and Game Schedule – as of 28feb2024 (Excel version)
- Divisions and Game Schedule – as of 28feb2024 (PDF version)
2024 Special Olympics Oregon Winter Regional Games Basketball in Medford
Competition Date: Saturday, March 9, 2024
Rogue Credit Union Community Complex (aka Rogue X)
901 Rossanley Drive
Medford, OR 97501
NOTE: Access Parking Lot Entrance via Rose Lane
3/9/2024 – General Schedule of Events (subject to change):
- From 8:30am to 9:05am – Coach check-in on Court 1
- 9:10am – Basketball Head Coaches’ Meeting in Large Conference Room
- 9:35am – Opening Ceremonies on Court 3
- 10:00am – 5:00pm – 5v5 Competition & Awards on assigned courts
- 10:00am – 12:00noon – Individual Skills Competition on assigned courts (more skills divisions information will be shared in the coming days)
- 12:00noon – 4:00pm – 3on3 Competition & Awards on assigned courts – we will plan to have a brief refresher meeting with all 3v3 coaches prior to first 3v3 games
- 11:00am – 1:30pm LUNCH DISTRIBUTION on Court 1
- Divisions C, TC are three-team divisions. Teams will first compete in a round robin format. Results from round robin play will determine seeding for the gold medal game based on the hierarchy listed below. The third seed will not compete in a playoff and will be awarded the bronze medal based on round-robin results.
- Divisions A, TA, TB are four-team divisions. Teams will play in a round robin format. Results from round robin play will determine placement based on the hierarchy listed below.
- Division B is a 6-team Traditional/Unified HYBRID division featuring two pools. Teams in Pool A will play round robin for playoff seeding. Results from round robin play will determine placement based on the hierarchy listed below. Traditional Teams in Pool B (Joco Bears + S. Coast Wolfpack) will play each other for playoff seeding and will then each play one game vs. Douglas Rebels (U) Unified that will NOT count towards playoff seeding. The #1 seeds from each pool will play for GOLD. The #2 seeds from each pool will play for BRONZE. #3 seed from Pool A will receive 5th place but will play Douglas Rebels (U) in an exhibition playoff.
- Results/Seeding Hierarchy:
- Fewest Points against
- Most Points for
- Award the same (A, TA, TB) / Flip coin for playoff seeding (B, C, TC)
TOURNAMENT NOTES, REMINDERS, POINTS OF EMPHASIS:
- Travel Issues – Scratches/Delays – If weather creates delays or team cancelations due to unsafe driving conditions or other issue, please let Mark Hanken know immediately by texting 971.404.1322 (mobile).
- Coaches Meeting – The head coaches meeting will take place at 9:10am. Each team is required to have a representative at this meeting. First games will begin at 10:00am after the opening welcome.
- Lunches – We will provide lunches to all registered players and coaches. These will be boxed lunches from Jersey Mike’s featuring sandwiches – ham, turkey, or vegetarian (limited number). There will be a limited number of vegan and gluten free options for this event. If you have delegates with stricter dietary restrictions, please plan accordingly.
- Concessions – Food trucks will be on site in the parking lot and vending machines will be in the building. Teams are encouraged to bring extra snacks and refillable water bottles. Please be sure to only consume food in designated areas.
- Souvenirs – Events by Idea will be at the event selling custom screened SOOR t-shirts, sweatshirts, beanies, and other gear.
- Spectator Seating – No outside camp chairs permitted. Some courts will have bleacher seating while others will have chairs.
- Service animals – Only service animals (that are identified) are allowed to be in the building. Please do not bring pets to this event.
- Family/Spectator parking – Please respect all parking signs posted in lots and streets.
- Event Medical- In event of emergency, 911 will be contacted. For non-emergencies, a first-aid medical team from Mercy Flights will be on site. They will assess any injuries and be in touch with coach/family members should transit to local hospital is necessary. They will also have ice and other first aid supplies should team members need them.
- Divisions were created based on history, coach/local program feedback and Team Evaluation Questionnaires with the intent to have fair and quality match ups. Like 2023, this is again a smaller tournament than years past as the Eugene/Springfield LPhas moved to a different regional. Therefore, your team may be placed in a different letter division than years past. Reminder – each division is based on ability level of teams within this tournament.
SOOR Staff On-Site
- Mark Hanken, Lead Staff – 971.404.1322 (mobile)
- Curtis Everetts – 503.931.0953 (mobile)
- LouAnne Tabada – 503.319.1182 (mobile)
THANK YOU for your hard work this season. Best of luck to all with your final training and safe travels!