Formula Zero Clinic with Damian Lillard
On Saturday, August 6th, 24 Special Olympics Oregon athletes, representing 4 county local programs, were invited to participate in an amazing basketball clinic provided by Damian Lillard and Formula Zero at the Beaverton Hoop YMCA. Top high school and college basketball players from all over the country were brought to Oregon for the Formula Zero Camp, created to educate, train and showcase these athletes to a variety of scouts.
“30-35 of these players will have the opportunity to make it to the NBA, but it takes more than talent. We get up every morning, we get dressed, we do what we have to do, but we need to remember that it’s all a privilege. We need to be humble and develop the character. It’s about giving…” stated Lillard.
Lillard recognizes that his camp athletes and our Special Olympics athletes can learn from each other, as was evidenced in the high energy, quality performance and investment made by everyone!
- “Thank you for today! I want to do it again next year!” stated athlete, Jonathan Shockey.
- Many of the athletes expressed their similar gratitude and shared their joy on social media following the event.
- Had fun with my friends at Formula Zero Camp, its staff, and of course Damian Lillard himself! #striveforgreatness , posted Benton County athlete, Shawn Hinz, pictured with his teammates, John Phillips, Dan Bush and Ian Ruter.
- At the end of the 1 hour clinic, Lillard drew Ian Ruter’s name from a bowl as the winner of a full sized basketball hoop, also provided by Damian Lillard.
- Coach Irene Lee stated, “What a treat for our athletes and a core memory for some of them.”
- This is very likely true for the high school, college, and Special Olympics athletes who all came together for an unforgettable experience!
About Formula Zero
Founded by Damian Lillard, Formula Zero is a personal development program for top basketball prospects in the country focusing on character, leadership, and elite-level on-court skills. The team at Formula Zero is determined to create change and to build a community of people who follow the formula.
Formula Zero’s elite camp is invitation only consisting of 20 elite high school athletes and 20 elite college athletes. The camp is open to all NBA Scouts.
The Special Olympics Basketball Clinic is part of the Formula Zero Camp.
Damian Lillard is a six-time NBA All-Star, six-time All-NBA selection, and was the 2012-2013 unanimous NBA Rookie of the Year. He was recently named to the NBA’s 75th Anniversary Team.